NetworkManager Problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Jul 6 17:55:33 UTC 2007

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 09:11 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Non-sense it was NM that turned off eth0. Here is /var/log/message for
>> the event:
>>
>>     I by accident loaded NM on this computer which has only one source
>> of the Internet from eth0. It was working fine and no problems until
>> about 8AM when it appeared the Internet had failed. I could not get
>> Google on my web browser. A hint I missed was that when I tried to reach
>> my DSL modem with a call of 192.168.0.1 it failed. I know now it failed
>> because eth0 was turned off by NM.
>>
> Let's look at why a second:
>

>> This is what /var/log/messages tells me:
>>
>> Jul  5 08:08:02 localhost kernel:  sdc: sdc1
>> Jul  5 08:08:04 localhost hald: mounted /dev/sdc1 on behalf of uid 500
>> Jul  5 08:08:41 localhost hald: unmounted /dev/sdc1 from '/media/disk'
>> on behalf of uid 500
>> Jul  5 08:17:45 localhost NetworkManager: <WARN>  nm_signal_handler():
>> Caught signal 15, shutting down normally.
>>
> Caught signal 15 means that someone or something has told NetworkManager
> to quit.
>

>> Jul  5 08:17:45 localhost NetworkManager: <info>  Caught terminiation
>> signal
>> Jul  5 08:17:45 localhost NetworkManager: <info>  Deactivating device eth0.
>> Jul  5 08:17:45 localhost dhclient: DHCPRELEASE on eth0 to 192.168.0.1
>> port 67
>>
> As NetworkManager shuts down, it also deactivates any devices that it
> controls (in this case, eth0).

    OK well we need to find out what told NM to terminate. I know I
didn't do that manually so it had to be some other application. Also I
think a better terminate state would be to leave the currently working
system working.

>>     When a computer with just one source of Internet has that turned off
>> by NM it is a serious Bug I think. Your better at reading the messages
>> and perhaps you can find a reason I missed.
>>
> It would be a bug if NetworkManager shut down eth0 for no reason, but it
> did so because it was told to exit...and exactly the same thing happens
> if you shut down the network the old way.
>
> Hope this explains the problem.
>
> Jonathan

    Yes it does but I have not heard anything from the NM people so not
sure what to think. When I do I will give your data to them.

Karl