iPod mystery -

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 22:04:55 UTC 2007

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> I can plug one of the kid's iPods into the usb port and it comes up on
> the desktop but as soon as I try to "open" or "mount" I get the
> following message:
>

>        Unable to mount "Apple iPod Music Player":
>
>        Given device
>        "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_part1_size_98574336" is not
>        a volume or drive
>

> I believe I installed everything iPod related that showed on yumex
> including an application called "exaile."

If it normally is connected to a machine running itunes, connect it back
and look in the setup options.  There should be a checkbox for whether
it appears as a usb drive or not and you can change it there.

> What else do I need to do to extract information [music] from it?  Or am
> I trying to do the impossible?

That part is impossible with the usual software, even under itunes.
There is some 3rd party software around to do that but I don't know if
any runs under linux.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com