RocketRAID 1740 driver for Fedora 7

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Mon Jul 9 00:15:18 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 20:54 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> It may be a PCI identifier we don't know. What does lspci -vvxxx say
> about it assuming you've got the box running off the other disk
> controller ?

Unfortunately, that would have been the smart thing to do, so I didn't
do it. :(  I ripped out all the old PATA drives and installed the SATA
II drives, thinking that I could somehow get the driver installed during
the Fedora 7 install.

> > got the driver into Linux yet.  The driver might be proprietary too - I
> > don't know.
>
> Doubt it.

The rocketraid modules I did find in the kernel didn't work with the
1740 I have.

I managed to install a fourth drive in the case, so now I'm using a 20
GB PATA drive for the boot / OS drive.  I then built the 1740 driver and
inserted into the running kernel.  The 1740 driver is definitely
proprietary:

Jul  8 20:11:28 blizzard kernel: rr174x: module license 'Proprietary'
taints kernel.
Jul  8 20:11:28 blizzard kernel: rr174x:0: RocketRAID 174x controller
driver v1.02 (Jul  8 2007 20:10:02)

That explains why it's not in the kernel - bastards.  I wanted an
inexpensive card, but didn't do enough research before hand.  Oh well...

Regards,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu