Fedora 7 wireless connection woes with Intel Pro/set wireless 3945abg

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:35:35 UTC 2007

On 09/07/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> peedee wrote:

> > i just installed fedora and i like it so far, but i&#039;m having
> > trouble with connecting wirelessly.
> >
> > fedora apparently recognizes the card because the device is listed as
> > intel pro/wireless or something like that.
> >
> > when i try to "activate" it with the network configuration tool i get
> > this:
> >
> > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> >     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
> > Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
> >     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
> >
> > Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
> > i have tried plugging in my settings for one of my home wireless
> > routers, but it does not help
> >

> > also as another note, when i installed i told fedora to set up the
> > firewall and the selinux, though i wasnt completely sure as to what
> > it was.
> > everytime i attempted to connect it would pop up and say it blocked
> > something and the connection attempt would fail. i disabled a bunch
> > of settings for the firewall and selinux and now it doesnt pop up
> > anymore but i dont know if this may have something to do with it
> > either

>     The problems your having with Selinux are typical. It would be best
> to turn it off until you get it set up.

This might be worthwhile, the OP should check that their SE Linux
settings in security are set to disabled.  This requires a reboot.  The
firewall is very unlikely to have any bearing on their problems
(certainly no default setting would affect this).

>     Please do a #lspci and find your wireless hardware in the list. Let
> us know what it is. If it is a Intel device your kernel should have the
> proper drivers.

The OP does not mention their chipset in the email, but it is in the
subject line: IntelPro 3945abg.  Of course one possible cause for
their problem is that they're not using the chipset they think they
are.

>     Please try #modprobe ipw2200 and see if it loads.

This is the wrong driver for that chipset.  The correct drivers
are iwl3945 or ipw3945.
http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi
http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/