f7 update broke lots of stuff

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jul 12 17:18:56 UTC 2007

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 11Jul2007 15:18, Ken Dyke <ken_i_m at bozemanlug.org> wrote:
> | Ran yum update about an hour ago.  First update in about a week.
> |
> | The frames around windows is missing.  I can't move a window with the
> | mouse.  I have only one desktop (workspace icon on the task bar is
> | missing).  In fact, there are no buttons on the taskbar for running
> | programs....
>
> Your window manager isn't running.
>
> Try typing "twm" or "fvwm" or any of a few other window managers.  They won't
> be what you are used to, but at least you will have window borders and titles
> etc and be able to move stuff around while you figure out what went wrong
> with the update.

I had this happen to an account on an FC7 machine the other day.  I
ended up moving all the config files from ~/{user} and logging in again.
I think it was related to a config file corruption during one of the
xorg freezes during the logout process.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.