Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Mustafa Qasim alajal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 13:16:33 UTC 2007

Salam!
           I want to ask all you folks there that we can see the current
advancements in Fedora and Ubunto distros. They've came onto screen as an OS
not only for server's operated by GEEKS but also a much secure and user
friendly OS for home users but still a large amount of our home user's are
still stick with XP(especially here in Pakistan) . Do we need to create
awareness at root grass level? Is it due to the Installation,configuring
softwares and migrating data or other smiler issues that are the giant
hurdle for home users? A XP user is still satisfied with
Spyware,Trojan,dialer,virus an many other attacks but he didn't dare or
didn't have enough guidance to get rid of it by using Linux.

I've tried to talk with my some friends about these issues but at the end i
came to know that they didn't need to listen the philosophy of FOSS they
just want me to practically prove that Linux is much easier and secure then
Windows. For them installing software from source or concept of mounting a
block device is much difficult because they didn't have to do this in M$ XP
:p.

"What" and more importantly "How" we individuals can serve to make our
people at root grass level aware about the weakness and black holes of their
existing platform and the advantages of Linux over M$ XP?

Regards,
--
Mustafa Qasim
Lahore, Pakistan