problem while sending gpg key to mit key server

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jul 14 18:20:56 UTC 2007

Mustafa Qasim wrote:

> Hello!
> a) Sorry for top posting. I didn't noticed that but I shall in future.
> b) I replace the .ssh and .gnupg directory with the backup i took after
> just creating the keys and now keys are working well on my system but
> still I can't send it to the key server. Is the key server down? or
> please guide me how to locally extract the ASCII from my key and
> actually which one is the main key file holding the ASCII among the 5
> files in the .gnupg directory?

You do not need to know what file the key is in. As long as it is in
your keyring, gpg can extract it. This is what the --extract option
does. The --armor option give you the output in ASCII instead of
binary. The --outfile option will send the output to a file instead
of displaying it in the terminal. (The defaults sends it to the
standard output.)

If the name you used when creating the key was Mustafa, the you
would use:

gpg --export --armor --outfile key.txt Mustafa

This would create a file called key.txt in the current directory
with the ASCII representation of your public key. You can then open
key.txt in a work processor or text editor if you want.

As far as your problems with the key server, you can try using a
different one and see if that helps. Try using
random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de or subkeys.pgp.net and see if that
works better.

Mikkel