ypbind init script fails

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 16 23:32:52 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Andrew Robinson wrote:
>> I'm running FC6 on an eMachines laptop. I'm trying to configure NIS
>> for my growing home network. I seem to be having peculiar problems
>> with the ypbind init script. When I try to start the init script, it
>> fails:
>>
>> [root at proteus ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind start
>> Starting NIS service:                                      [  OK  ]
>> Binding  NIS service: .........                            [FAILED]
>> Shutting down NIS service:                                 [  OK  ]
>>
>> However, I find that if I run the init script with the restart option,
>> it will often, but not always, succeed:
>>
>> [root at proteus run]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind restart
>> Shutting down NIS service:                                 [FAILED]
>> Starting NIS service:                                      [  OK  ]
>> Binding  NIS service: ...                                  [  OK  ]
>>
>> If I start ypbind by itself from a command line, it always succeeds. I
>> verify the successes and failures with ps, ypwhich and ypcat commands.
>>
>> Anyone have a clue as to what is going on here? I've been looking for
>> some indication in some log, but haven't found any. The goal is to get
>> the init script to succeed on boot up. (The init script gives the same
>> messages at bootup as it does when run with "start" from the command
>> line.)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Andrew Robinson
>>
>    Try chkconfig ypbind on and when you reboot it will be on and stay on.

I chkconfig'ed it on at the start of all this. The problem seems to lie
in the init script itself. As I noted, the init script fails at boot and
when I run it from the command line with the "start" option.

Any idea how I can figure out what is happening in the init script? I
can't find any indication in any log files and when I tried stepping
through the commands on the command line, they all seemed to work.

Andrew