Add Wireless to Laptop

David Corrigan lightingisfun at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 01:13:00 UTC 2007

On 7/13/07, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED <m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 01:10:48 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
>
> [...]
> > At the moment you have to do radically different things depending on the
> > exact wireless chipset you are blessed/cursed with.  So finding that out
> > is your first move.
> >
> > Use
> >
> > lspci
> >
> > to find out all your PCI-based devices, if it is not listed there it
> > might be visible via
> [...]
> > -Andy
>
> 02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390
>    WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
>
> Am I blessed or cursed?
>
> Mike.
>

> --

I just got that card working on my laptop. This should help.
Basically, get the driver, load it with ndiswrapper, configure
ndiswrapper to load on bootup, configure the card with the gui.

The details:

1. get the drivers from dell
http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R151519&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=202138
2. extract them (unzip -a R151519.exe)
3. install dkms-ndiswrapper from freshrpms.net
4. There is an inf file in the DRIVERS folder of the archive that you
extracted in #1, run ndiswrapper -i file.inf
5.
Run these as root, you may need to add /usr/sbin/ in front of
ndiswrapper. I've heard that you may only need to run the first
command.
ndiswrapper -m
ndiswrapper -ma
ndiswrapper -mi

6. reboot
7. open the Network Configuration Dialog (System->Administration->Network)
8. You should see the wireless card under the "Hardware" tab. Goto the
"Devices" tab and add a new wireless device, it is a good idea to
specify your primary SSID while adding the connection.

That should be it, I use wifi-radar to search for other networks, but
you will need to edit a config file to tell it to use the proper
interface.

If you want to have the wireless connection loaded when you boot then
you'll need to select the connection you created and click the edit
button. Then select "Activate device when computer starts"

Good luck, I hope this helps.

David