usb headset (for skype)

Iain Cheyne iain at cheyne.net
Tue Jul 17 08:25:27 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen <k5di <at> zianet.com> writes:
> Ian Malone wrote:
> > Does anyone have any experience with USB headsets
> > (mic + earphones)?  I'm thinking of getting one for
> > Skype use, and was wondering whether they just
> > use USB audio.
> I think there was a guy here earlier with a USB headset and Skype. He
> had trouble but it was the Alsa Mixer thing. He is happy now.

That was me.

I bought a Plantronics .Audio 500 USB and it works fine now.

It was muted by default.

Using the soundcard number out of /proc/asound/cards, I tried:

alsamixergui -c 1
or
alsamixer -c 1

I unmuted the mike and after that it worked fine.

I changed the sound device in Skype and as soon as I did that I was able to
test Skype using the automatic test user - echo123.