Changing permissions in /dev

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Jul 18 14:19:02 UTC 2007

Mark Knoop wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> There used to be a way to change permissions on the many /dev/xyz
>> directories. The /dev/dsp has a fancy permissions that do not work. I
>> want to change it back to root uucp and that I can handle
>>

> Read about udev permissions here:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/udev/
>
> But what is your problem with /dev/dsp? Are you sure that the 'fancy'
> permissions are causing it?

    Yes. I read several messages on this list that said applications are
not working if they are sending data to /dev/dsp. I have this problem
too. If you look at the permission with ls -l it has my login then root
and then that stupid sticky bit thing. When I call /dev/dsp with a GUI
device the permissions are changed it seems.

    So I want the thing changed to what is in FC6 which is root uucp and
I know how to use that :-)

Karl