Kernel Panic after F7-32 install on nforce based board

Ubence Quevedo r0d3nt at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 20 14:02:25 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I have a Asus A8N-E motherboard with two WD 36GB Raptors in a
NVRAID-0 configuration for Windows XP and a WD 250GB IDE drive for
Fedora.  I have had Fedora Core 6 installed on this system
previously, but with the new AMD/ATI driver that supports Fedora 7 [I
have a X1800XL], I finally decided to upgrade.  I wiped out the 250GB
drive that housed the FC6[32] install, and did a default just like I
did for FC6 for F7.  After a seemingly normal install, upon reboot I
get a Kernel Panic because the system can not located the hard
drive.  I thought it might be an LVM thing, so I re-installed with
non-lvm partitioning [/boot,swap,/], and still that failed.  One
thing that I noticed for the install of F7 was the loading of the
pata-nvidia driver.  I don't remember seeing that when I installed
FC6.  I find it odd that the IDE drive was being assigned a SDC dev
name instead of an HDA dev name.  Could this be part of the problem?
Needless to say, I am at a stand still unless I can get this
resolved.  I found this link that has a similar issue:  http://
www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=569051.

Has anyone run into this problem and successfully fixed it?

Thanx in advance!

-Ubence