"No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found"

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Jul 22 13:33:19 UTC 2007

On Sunday 22 July 2007 11:13, Dave Cross wrote:
> On 7/21/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> > Dave Cross wrote:
> > > I've just upgraded my FC6 Dell Dimension to F7. Everything seems to be
> > > working except the sound. When I try to open the volume control I get
> > > the error message "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices
> > > found"
>
> [ snip ]
>
> >         It sounds a bit like the kernel problem with the original kernel
> > in the package. There has been at least one and right now I am yummiming
> > another kernel in updates. You might wait until you do the big update
> > thing and see if the sound works with a new kernel.
>
> Nope. This is on a fully updated system
>
>   $ rpm -q kernel
>   kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7
>
> Thanks for the suggestion tho'.
>
> Dave...

Thats Interesting. snd-hda-codec should be loaded along with snd-hda-intel.
I'd looked in /lib/modules/2.6.21-1.3228.fc7/kernel/sound/pci/hda,
snd-hda-codec is there, but looking in the same place but with the
2.6.22.1-27.fc7 kernel, there is only snd-hda-intel, no snd-hda-codec.

Have you still got the earlier kernel/s, that you could try, and see if you
get the same results?

Just a thought.

Nigel.