Problems with F7: Wrong kernel type, prelink pegs my CPU

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 15:22:37 UTC 2007

>> That shouldn't happen. Run 'rpm -e prelink', but this should really be
>> investigated further. prelink shouldn't be hogging the CPU, like that.
>> Before nuking prelink, wait for eat to start eating the CPU, find its
>> pid, then do "ls /proc/$PID/fd". Wait a few seconds, and do it again.
>> See if there are any changes. You might have a corrupted binary
>> somewhere that prelink is choking on. Prelinking is good, you want to
>> try to keep it around.
>
> Maybe a buggy kernel? They just released a new one. I'll see how it goes.
> Thanks for the help to all who have replied so far!

Its unlikely the kernel has much to do with this.

prelink is an optimsiation thing, to try and speed up application start
up time. try googling for prelink for more info.

As has already been said, on a newly installed system prelink has a lot
to do, so will take all the cpu and run for a while. Just let it do its
thing. Afterwards, you should not notice it much. Occasionally it pops
up have a big system update, when a lot of new libs are around and it
has to prelink them all again.

Also note that prelink should be running at a nice value of 19, so it
will only take all the cpu if there is really nothing else running. If
anything else needs the cpu, it will drop down to a few % (The point of
nice 19)

cheers Chris