cpu speed problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jul 27 15:50:40 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 17:44 -0700, Les wrote:
>>         Oh, one other thing.  If you use the laptop plugged in all the
>> time, the charger are not designed to do that.  Eventually the batteries
>> will overcharge and possibly short.  Check your laptop at the manufacturers
>> list also to ensure you do not have a recalled battery pack.  There
>> have been some problems with some batteries.
> As far as I know that is wrong. Most labtops are designed to be able to
> be run plugged in without problem.  Especially if they have Hydride
> batteries. Of course , what the manufacturer says should rule.

With my Toshiba A105-S4004, they tell you not to leave it plugged in
after the battery is charged if you are not using it. But I am not
sure how much that has to do with heat, and how much it has to do
with battery life. I have a neighbor that used her laptop more as a
desktop, and left it plugged in all the time. Her battery life
dropped to nothing in about 2 years. (10 minutes from full charge to
dead.)

Mikkel