[F7] Nouveau driver crashing X

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 29 21:16:36 UTC 2007

Marko Vojinovic writes:

> Hi everyone!
>
> While giving up on closed nvidia drivers for the time being (I'll give it
> another shot in a month or two, when I get more free time), I just tried the
> open-source alternative for 3D on my old nVidia GeForce 4, namely nouveau.
>
> This driver also crashes X (though not so severely, for it brings me back into
> the prompt after the crash), so I need some advice. I read the Xorg.0.log,
> and while it does not give me any hint as to why the crash occurred, I see
> that it looks for the file /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so, and fails to find it
> (because the file isn't there, as I checked). But it passes over that error
> and continues, crashing somewhat later for no apparent reason in the log. So,
> three questions:
>
> 1) Why is the file nouveau_dri.so missing?

Noveau is a "work-in-progress", and some bits of it are not done yet.

See the Fedora 7-specific comments in here:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/nouveau/2007-June/000106.html

> 2) Why does X crash?

Because it has a bug.

> 3) What can I do about it?

Wait about a year, and see if things improve. Noveau does seem to be in
fairly active development, but things are not yet at the point where most
people can use it.