USB Audio Devices "disabling" onboard sound cards

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Mon Jul 30 04:00:39 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 20:52 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> I purchased a USB Turntable(Bus 001 Device 002: ID 08bb:2900 Texas
> Instruments Japan) and rebooted my machine.
>
> Lo and behold, I no longer have access to my sound card(00:04.0
> Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio
> Controller (rev a2)).  It is not even listed in system-config-soundcard.
>
> If I disconnect the USB Turntable and reboot, my audio device becomes
> available again.
>
> Taking a look at my modprobe.conf shows an oddity:
> options snd cards_limit=8
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-usb-audio index=0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-intel8x0 index=0

Hmmm...I changed this section of my modprobe.conf to the following and
success!

options snd cards_limit=8
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1

I can now access my sound devices correctly.  Seems kudzu or whatever is
doing the automatic h/w detection is barfing the wrong information into
modprobe.conf.

Moreover, is my configuration about 'correct' in that it is setup as it
should be?

Sean