cannot install fc7, fc6, or fc5 on new machine

ed at hp.uab.edu ed at hp.uab.edu
Mon Jul 30 15:05:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Vicki and Dave Stevenson wrote:

> Just wanted to report that fc7 64-bit is up and running now. I replaced the
> ASUS M2A-VM HDMI motherboard (with ATI SB600 south bridge) with an ASUS
> M2NPV-VM (NVIDIA nForce 430 south bridge), and the problem is gone. The two
> motherboards are very similar in features and price, just different chipsets.
>
> Thanks again to everyone for your help.
>
> Dave

I also have the ASUS M2NPV-VM, only because it is the smallest motherboard
that can support 8GB of RAM..... but not because the SATA (MCP51) is well
supported. And in fact, I am writing this becase only moments ago I got
the NCQ for the SATA working. This is my VMWare development box with no
less then 20 virtual machines in various states of snapshot/suspension/ or
just off. I have never been able to run more the 6 at the same time, which
is frustrating since some of my demos require 8 to be running.

So here is the stats of my system, it may help you with your work:

ASUS M2NPV-VM
ST3250820AS (NCQ)
MAXTOR STM3320620AS (NCQ)
8GB RAM
Fedora Core 6
Kernel: 2.6.22.1
Patches from here, in this order:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.22-rc6/2.6.22-rc6-mm1/broken-out/
   ata-add-the-sw-ncq-support-to-sata_nv-for-mcp51-mcp55-mcp61.patch
   ata-add-the-sw-ncq-support-to-sata_nv-for-mcp51-mcp55-mcp61-fix.patch

I then had to edit the initial ramdisk to add swncq=1 to the line that
loads the sata_nv module. (look in the cpio command to open and re-create
the initial ramdisk)

Ok, what else.... The kernel modules for the NVIDIA video driver
(100.14.11) works great out of the box.

For VMware, use the update at:
http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update113.tar.gz
I had v112 and it worked well, so I guess that v113 would do the same for
you.

ed