Handling Updates...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:02:38 UTC 2007

semi linux wrote:

> The question :: If I'm going to update, how can I freeze on one
> particular update (so I ship the same thing today as I do in 1 year)?
>
> We use kickstart already, so updates can be scripted easily enough but
> I would imagine that Glibc/gcc and other updates should occur at the
> same time as the kernel - What's the proper way to stop this from
> being a moving target?  Do I just download everything today and hope
> it's a good freeze point while scripting it into our kickstart files?
>
> Anyone here solved this problem before?

You want fedora to not be a moving target? I don't think that's
practical on a distribution with a goal of 'rapid progress':
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

Perhaps you should look at one of the 'Enterprise' distos instead, like
RHEL or a free clone like Centos.  Even with those you can expect
several updates over the course of a year although they almost never
change expected behavior.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com