Where Did It Go? A Re-Post

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 21:03:46 UTC 2007

> How do you mean "fail to recognize the drive" when you are also saying
> you get a /dev/sdb1 created?  That sounds like the drive is recognized fine.

On my system, I have four Western Digital SATA drives - /sda thru /sdd.
When the system boots with no disk in the drive, /dev/sde shows up and
all the code, except for sfdisk, sees it as a fifth SATA drive.  That
is why I claim that the drive is not recognized, at least not correctly.

One other point that I didn't mention before:  The only way to get the
/dev/sde4 created is to boot the system WITH a disk inside the ZIP drive.
That was not necessary with Fedora Core 6 and the 2.6.18 kernel(s).
The command, mknod /dev/sde4 b 8 68, does not create a valid device.
In order to get /dev/sde4 correctly created, there must be a ZIP disk
inside the ZIP drive before the system is booted.

Below, you can read what sfdisk has to say about the device, correcting
the error(s) generated by the kernel (kudzu or whatever).  But when
an attempt is made to write to the ZIP drive, or even just print out
the partition table, hundreds of error messages show up in the system log.
I've included only very few of the system log messages, below.

---------- Some of the console output (commands and responses) ----------
[root at estreet ~]# ls -alt /dev/sde*
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 64 2007-07-28 14:23 /dev/sde
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 68 2007-07-28 14:23 /dev/sde4

[root at estreet ~]# sfdisk -l /dev/sde

Disk /dev/sde: 0 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Warning: The partition table looks like it was made
  for C/H/S=*/64/32 (instead of 0/255/63).
For this listing I'll assume that geometry.
Units = cylinders of 1048576 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/sde1          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/sde2          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/sde3          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/sde4   *      0+     95      96-     98288    6  FAT16

[root at estreet ~]# mount /dev/sde4 /mnt
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

[root at estreet ~]# mount -t vfat /dev/sde4 /mnt
mount: /dev/sde4: can't read superblock

---------- Some of the error messages from /var/log/messages ----------
Jul 28 15:02:23 estreet kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
Jul 28 15:02:23 estreet kernel: sde: rw=0, want=196392, limit=1
Jul 28 15:02:23 estreet kernel: printk: 36 messages suppressed.
Jul 28 15:02:23 estreet kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sde4,
logical block 24544

--
MM