network monitoring

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Wed Jun 6 06:36:31 UTC 2007

El Martes, 5 de Junio de 2007 21:33, Nigel Henry escribió:

> I may be wrong. but seem to remember that Yogesh asked about setting up an
> Internet café a while back. If that's so, perhaps he just wants to make
> sure his clients arn't accessing dodgy sites, etc.

Ups, maybe I didn't read that part, if so. My fault!
However, I guess i'ts better to set up a proxy than keeping logs of every
piece of comunication between the Internet Café (if that's the scenario) and
the Internet, because I wonder if someone is going to stay 24x7 looking at
the logs or even looking at them when the café is getting close.
Set up a proxy allowing only some sort of popular websites such as yahoo,
google, or all of those which provide emails or news, you know...

> I have no idea as to how responsible an owner of an Internet café would be
> if some of his clients were accessing seriously dodgy porn sites. And I
> mean the worst kind, or were older people carrying on dirty talk with young
> people by means of IM.

If that happened how you'd be able to keep that under control? Imagine a café
with 100 computers and 50 folks usin IM, is it possible to keep and eye in
those IM conversation? Definetly, no, IMHO.
I'm not a lawyer but I guess the Café has nothing to do with an illegal
situation, such as older people talking with young ones...it's sad, but it's
quite true.

> Under such circumstances I can well understand the need to know what your
> clients are doing on machines that on the bottom line, you are responsible
> for.

Again, from my point of view there're several ways to keep all that situation
under control avoiding the fact of breaking the privacy of the users/clients

> As you say Manuel his clients/employees would need to be very well aware
> that their Internet activity was being monitored, and that they the
> client/employee would ultimately be responsible for what they did on the
> Internet.
>
> Not so easy to track down someone who wanders into an Internet café off the
> street though. They come in, in anonimity, do what they want on your
> machine, and go out in anonimity.

Ummm I disagree a bit. They would do whatever you allow the to do in your
machines, a good security privacy would let you stay more or less in calm

Just my opinion,
Cheers!
Manuel

--