F7 install problems -

stan stanl at cox.net
Thu Jun 7 20:01:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:41:50 -0400
Bob Goodwin - W2BOD <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> I don't know what to do next, describing all the things I've done in
> the last three days would fill a small book!
>
> I have the DVD iso file on the hard drive on this computer along with
> the rescue CD iso file.
>
> I made the rescue DC without a problem, it seems to work normally.
>
> The install DVD has been an absolute horror.  I have tried everything
> I can think of and all the things suggested to me on this list to no
> avail.  I still have an error message "That directory could not be
> mounted from the server."
>
> I have two DVD's my daughter made somehow on her Mac, one a .iso
> file, apparently she realized that was not what I wanted and there's
> a second disk with the images burnt to it.  I have tried various
> schemes to use them with an NFS install, no luck.  Always that same
> error message.
>
> The DVD should boot the computer I believe?  It does not.  The rescue
> CD does.  As did the FC5 DVD I used about a year ago, the F7 DVD
> seems to be a dud.

I haven't done this so this is just guesswork, but what happens if you
edit your /etc/yum.conf file and in the seconf marked repositories
point to the dvd.iso file as
localrepo=file:///"directory to dvd"/dvd.iso?

I'm not sure if the update will want the dvd mounted and pointing to
the directory with the rpms or if it will just be happy with the iso.

If it recognizes the dvd as a repository, you then should be able to do
an upgrade.

How are you telling the rescue CD to install from the dvd?  Have you
labeled all of your partitions?  See man e2label or man tune2fs, -L
option.  You can run the command /sbin/blkid to see and go here for
more information
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f7/en_US/sn-Installer.html#id3152635