Fedora Core 7 does not turn off my computer

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Tue Jun 12 18:18:39 UTC 2007

At 12:37 AM -0700 6/12/07, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

>Nigel Henry wrote:
>
>> Tony Nelson wrote:
>>>
>>> Normally, yes.  Check the dmesg log for errors detecting ACPI information
>>> (or APM if you have a 7 year old computer),
>>> as it is ACPI (APM) that does the actual power off.
>
>Please find attached the relevant part of the dmesg log from my hp pavillion
>a730n desktop computer.

I don't see anything useful there.  If you really want us to do the work of
comparing, please provide the entire dmesg output for the working, failing,
and "acpi=force" setups, per my other reply.

>I also have an older (1998) desktop computer which reports:
>
>    ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
>    ACPI: Interpreter disabled
>    pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
>    PCI quirk: region 4000-403f claimed bu PIIX4 ACPI
>
>Neither machine will poweroff automatically when it shuts down.

On that older machine you can't use ACPI, but APM may work on both.  Boot
with kernel option "acpi=off".

>>> BTW, does the poweroff command also fail to turn off the computer?
>
>poweroff also fails to turn off the computer.

OK.