Fedora vs OpenSuse

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Wed Jun 13 07:57:57 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 09:29:01 Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 08:12 +0200, Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My University wants to force us all to use OpenSuse. Up to now I'm a
> > happy Fedora user. So can you help to find more arguments why I should
> > keep using Fedora?
>
> - First of all, Fedora tends to be "bleeding edge" in case this is a
> good thing for you.
> - It incorporates SELinux, which is, IMHO, a great security tool
> - It uses FOSS only for the base installation
> - Has a lot of mirrors

OpenSuse does too.

> - Gives you the ability to make your own repo with supported tools
> (which the university will love once it starts saving them bandwith

OpenSuse does to, in fact the have the BuildService, a tool to create your own
RPMs with your own repo, which is in fact a great tool if you're going to
develop tools with special configurations for your enviroment.
I have an account there for 1 year or so, and I can tell you guys that that
tool is awesome

http://build.opensuse.org

> - Virtualization is the Fedora's second name
> - That would make 'Network Install' the third?
> - Great Clustering tools (Filesystem, heartbeat, etc) with documentation
> (RHEL docs)

OpenSuse documentation team is doing a really good job, but it's true, Fedora
has got better one :-)

> - F7 incorporates the great 'Revisor' tool, which let's you customize
> your distro... almost Stupid Proof!

OpenSuse Build Service again :-)

> - It provides excelent documentation (RHEL Documentation and other
> projects work wonders with it)
> - It has some nice support sites: fedoraunity.org, fedoraforum.org, etc
> - NVidia and ATI driver support (try to coff or something while saying
> ATI)
> - It can run on 192 mb or ram

Really? :-)

> - Small distro (on minimum install)
> - It updates the kernel fairly often (better performance and stuff)

That's true, totally agree.

> - It automounts everything you put into it!... almost

OpenSuse does

> > Bush : All votes are equal but some votes are more equal than others.
>
> Did he really say this??? LMAO!!

It's normal, he's Bush :-)

Again, guys I do use Fedora, and I do love Fedora, what I want to mean is that
Fedora and OpenSuse are similar and there're not so many big reasons to use
one or other.

Cheers!
Manuel

--