What is en_US ?

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Fri Jun 15 17:14:29 UTC 2007

El Viernes, 15 de Junio de 2007 16:40, Timothy Murphy escribió:

> Sadly, perhaps, any difference is disappearing fast.
> My 10-year old grand-daughter talks a kind of mid-Atlantic or MTV English,
> which is not surprising since she watches Disney channel all day long.
> She would be as likely to say "elevator" as "lift".

Well, in my opinion that's not bad, I mean, it's not bad to learn words people
use in the other side of the Atlantic. Although I cannot imagine myself
speaking like an argentinian :-)

> Her friend next door from Northern Ireland
> can "do" a Northern accent if requested,
> but normally speaks in the same way.

Ummm I wonder in which situation could be one requested to speak with a
specific accent :-)

> Dialects in the UK and Ireland have all but disappeared.
> When I was young Geordies and Glaswegians were unintelligible.
> Now someone with a real accent is treasured as an antique.
> (I introduced a Scottish friend of mine recently,
> and someone commented, "You do that accent beautifully".)

I do love the scottish accent, though, in the beginning is difficult to
understand for not native speakers but after a while it's wonderful. (yeah I
had a scottish girlfriend, hehe)

> People in NY and London (and Paris) are unintelligible
> because they speak too fast, and anyway don't care if you understand.

Like here in Madrid I suppose (with the spanish, of course) we're always in a
rush

Cheers

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.