MP3 metadata not viewable in F7 KDE

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Fri Jun 15 21:15:20 UTC 2007

Hello, Everyone
I used to run Fedora Core 6 and I would compile KDE from KDE's Branch
3.5 SVN tree.  This worked perfectly until I installed (not upgraded)
Feodra 7.

When I installed Fedora 7 and then compiled and installed KDE from
Branch 3.5 SVN, the fonts in Branch 3.5 applications looked horrible
(they were not antialiased)  All other fonts looked great, even in F7's
KDE.  Since no one else was having this problem, I was not able to fix
it on my system.  Hence, I now run Fedora 7's KDE.

All seemed well until I tried to view MP3 Metadata in Konqueror.  There
is no longer a Metadata tab in the Properties menu when I right click
on an MP3.

Somebody who has read this far is thinking, "Does he know that Fedora
can't and doesn't ship with MP3 support?"  Yep, known that since it
first became an issue many years ago.

So, I searched Google and found the appropriate repositories to enable,
and the appropriate RPM's to Yum, and I now have almost perfect MP3
support in Fedora 7.  I can play MP3's in every F7 shipped KDE app that
I have tried: Noatun, Juk and Kaboodle are the three that come to mind.

So here is the problem: in "Info List View" in Konqueror, MP3 id3 tags
are no longer displayed.  As referred to above, the same information is
no longer displayed in the Metadata tab in the Properties menu in
Konqueror.  Like I also said earlier, there is not even a blank
Metadata tab.  There is not even a Metadata tab at all.

Ooops, almost forgot.  Remember that all of my KDE is now from Fedora
7's KDE.  Everything else was completely removed.  But, Fedora 7's
version of Juk displays and edits MP3 tags perfectly.  Plays MP3's as
well.  Of course, we are talking about kdemultimedia packages here, and
not kdebase.  Of course if a rebuilt kdebase is required, that would be
worth it to me if I could get some assistance from someone.

So how do I go about restoring this functionality to Konqueror in
Fedora 7?  I can think of one way, but I really don't want to have to
do that.  That would be to go back to Fedora Core 6 and compile KDE
from source.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your assistance on this problem.

Steven P. Ulrick
--
 15:54:31 up 17:47,  4 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.44, 0.58