How to use flash drive ?

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Jun 17 17:03:30 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Hi Bob, I assume by flash drive you mean a small devise that plugs
> into a USB port. I have a 2 GB kinston thing. when I plug it in it
> shows up on my desktop FC6 and I can in a Windows way slide things
> onto the kinston image and they are then found on the file system.
>
> If you want to put a file system on it go to
> /media/name-of-your-flash-drive/ and you will see everything that is
> on the drive. And you can cp -a anything less than 4GB. The file
> system on it is FAT32. I have a small flash drive with ext3 on it.
>

> Karl K5DI

Yes it does as you describe and I was able to copy a text file to it
from the command line, view the file, and delete it.  So it does that
much as it comes from the factory.  I bought one for my daughter a while
back and she used it to carry work back and fourth between her Mac at
home and the work station at school.  I know she did nothing to make it
usable, just proceeded to use it.

Of course it would be neat if I can save Linux configuration stuff to it
in preparation for installing F7 on this box.  I will have to experiment
further with it to develop some confidence in it.

I guess the question then becomes should I re-format it to ext2 or some
such or can I leave it as it is and have it available to my computer and
the Windows and Mac computers around this house that I coexist with?
Anything that comes to me that is intended for MS Windows is suspect!

Bob