printing problem: losing text at bottom

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Jun 17 19:28:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:15:35 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> What critters to I have to inform regarding
> the printable area of my PSC 1500?
> How?

Visit: http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/
and check out the align.ps postscript file and the
alignmargins perl script (I seem to recall the perl script
was a bit simpler to use, but they are essentially the
same tool).

The first few hours you stare at the incredibly sparse
documentation for these things, you'll go badly cross-eyed,
but they eventually start to make a bit of sense and
you eventually use them to inject some custom postscript
scaling instructions in the .ppd file for the printer.

For the 13,321st time I wonder why a simpler to use
printer alignment tool isn't part of the standard linux
printer setup tools...

My ancient Laser Jet 6L, for instance, needs this bit of
gibberish stuck on the end of the LaserJet.ppd file:

*OpenUI *Margins/Page Margins/Offsets: PickOne
*DefaultMargins: Custom
*Margins Default/Driver Default: ""
*Margins Custom/Custom (set with 'alignmargins'): "<</.HWMargins[12.02 12.8 14.4 12.02] /Margins[12 -24]>>setpagedevice"
*CloseUI: *Margins