Acer laptop problem

Amitakhya Phukan aphukan at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 18 07:01:47 UTC 2007

Hi all !

I don't know if this problem is specific to my laptop only or not. Its
an Acer Aspire 3003 laptop.

I installed F7 from the Live CD. After two sessions of logging in to the
system (two sessions means using the system two times, by a proper
shutdown procedure), I get error messages about bcm43xx_mac... module
not found or loaded. I can understand that it is because I have not
installed the bcm43xx_fwcutter rpm for my Broadcom wireless card... but
why does it start after two sessions, why not in the first time itself ?

Secondly, from this third session onwards, I have all kinds of I/O
errors...sometimes, GRUB doesn't appear, sometimes a "ls" command gives
an I/O error...sometimes the name of the hard drive is followed by a
series of ! signs .. upto around 15 of them !!. ..

Well, I am actually a bit surprised at this... never happened in any
previous Fedora versions I have used... and because of the GRUB problem,
I had to install F7 three times till now. I am afraid this version of
Fedora seems to be somewhat unstable to me as far as its working with my
laptop goes.

I can provide you with any details you would like to know... But I need
a solution desperately..In fact, FC6 never gave me any problems but F7
seems to be behaving like Windows on my laptop !!! ...  crashes without
any reason.

Yesterday, the same problem happened.. in desperation I tried installing
FC6...the partition screen showed the hard drive name followed by lots
of ! marks... the whole of 60 GB was under F7, but still it showed an
extra 60GB of hard disk !!!!....then i rebooted instead of proceeding
with the install and to my surprise, F7 now booted properly...

Can anyone please give me some idea where the problem lies ??

Thanks and regards,

Amitakhya Phukan.