Cisco's VPN client in Fedora 7?

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Jun 18 15:43:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 01:45:59PM +0200, Alessandro Brezzi wrote:
> Hi Fred,
>
> 2007/6/18, fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>:
> >
> >I use vpnc and it works fine for me. (though I'm not using F7)
> >I like it better than Cisco's client because (among other reasons)
> >it doesn't insert a kernel module that needs to be recompiled for
> >every new kernel.
>

> Please, can you share some detail on how to configure the vpnc client for a
> CISCO router? I'm interested, because I've failed in implementing vpnc and I
> reverted back to the CISCO client + patch with some security problem (only
> root can open the connection)

Well, I don't know what specific Cisco routers, or software, or
configurations you need on the Cisco end to use vpnc. All I know is that
I use it to get into the VPN at work (when I'm at home), as well as when
at work I use it to connect to customers  (I find it doesn't work for
some customers, I have no idea why).

To configure it on your linux box, first I'd recommend the latest version
(last time I looked it was 0.4), build it, run make install as root.
As root, copy to Linux any PCF files you  have, run "pcf2vpnc" against
each one, store the result in /etc/vpnc. You may wish to edit them to make
sure they have the right username and passwords defined  in them (if you
don't have that info in the vpnc conf file that results, vpnc will prompt
you for the username and/or password.).

I find I need to be root to start/stop it, but that's no big deal to me.

to start: vpnc <config file name>
to stop: vpnc-disconnect