Caution to FC6 users

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 13:56:59 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:
>    I was told that if I did this my FC6 would let me look at DVD movies:
>

> If you're happy to run patent encumbered software then you can configure
> the livna repository by installing the rpm at:
>
> http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
>
> ..and then run
>
> yum install totem-xine
>
> ..to install a version of totem which can play DVDs.
>
>    Well I did all this and had to use "rpm -e --nodeps totem before I
> could yum totem-xine

That sort of thing is really an option of last resort.  RPM/Yum stops
you from installing/upgrading pacakges for a reason, not just because
it's being awkward.  It's much better to figure out what it's
complaining about than forcing it.  Just post the yum output here and
someone will help you figure it out.

> which turns out is 6 rpm files with success. But it
> seemed to work.
>
>    But when I put the free DVD I picked up on the counter of a Mc
> Donalds store it again complains about a lack of drivers and will not
> show the DVD. Of course the DVD can be shown on FC4 and WindowsXP and on
> the DVD player hooked to our big computer.
>
>    The reason stated for the problem is that all DVD's are having
> protection from theft. Since the one I am trying was free, what IS going
> on?

Even free commercial DVDs will still be encypted with CSS.  Only home
burned DVDs are likely to be unencrypted.

Try the command below which should check that you have all the necessary
dvd playing libraries installed:

yum -y install libdvdcss libdvdread libdvdplay libdvdnav lsdvd libdvbpsi

See if that helps

Simon.