yum mirrors for fedora

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jun 20 15:11:43 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Incidentally, can one have more than one repository "hard-coded".

Yep.  From yum.conf(1):

baseurl

    Must be a URL to the directory where the yum repository’s
    ‘repodata’ directory lives. Can be an http://, ftp:// or file://
    URL.  You can specify multiple URLs in one baseurl statement. The
    best way to do this is like this:

    [repositoryid]
    name=Some name for this repository
    baseurl=url://server1/path/to/repository/
            url://server2/path/to/repository/
            url://server3/path/to/repository/

    If you list more than one baseurl= statement in a repository you
    will find yum will ignore the earlier ones  and  probably  act
    bizarrely. Don’t do this, you’ve been warned.

> Or does it just try the first, and bomb out if that doesn't work?

Nope.  You can specify the order in which it tries the various urls
with the failovermethod setting.

> Can one have a repository and a mirror-list?

The man page says yes.  I can't remember if I've ever tried this.  I
used to just drop the mirrorlist and replace it with a baseurl of a
local or other fast mirror near me, but I've let the mirrorlist
setting in my F7 box and it's worked well for me so far.

The United States is a nation of laws, badly written and randomly
enforced.
    -- Frank Zappa