Formatting CDs

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 22:18:42 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>>> I don't think you can do that with CD's.
>> Sure you can.  It's usually referred to ask "Packet Writing".  There's an
>> old Sourceforge page for a project to bring support to Linux
>> (http://packet-cd.sourceforge.net/).  I don't know what the current status
>> is, though.
> Formatting and Packet Writing are not the same thing .

On a CDRW, it is packet writing and the UDF filesystem that lets you
write and erase files incrementally - and I don't think it is supported
on linux.  The iso filesystem has to be written all at once along with
the data so formatting doesn't really happen as a separate step.  You
can write multiple sessions that appear as separate filesystems though.

--
   Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com