CIFS problem with Umlaute in filename on Fedora Core 5

Loic Domaigne loic-dev at gmx.net
Tue Jun 26 11:38:26 UTC 2007

Hi Alex,

> what is the content of yout $LANG variable? Could you try to unset it
> and then ls the directory again? Also there is a mount option called
> iocharset. Maybe this will help.

Thanks for your suggestion. I found what the problem is: the filenames
are stored using CP850 encoding instead ISO-8859-1!

I am baffled. The smb.conf on the DNS-323 clearly specifies that
ISO-8859-1 should be use for filenames:

[ global ]
client code page = 850
character set = ISO8859-1

Anyway, this is a problem with the NAS storage, not with Fedora. Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
Loïc.