recent experience with fedora core 6 installed

Philippe A. futhark77 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 03:53:17 UTC 2007

I have been using RedHat since v9 and have stuck with that distro until
today. I have upgraded from one version to another for a long time and it is
only recently that I reinstalled from scratch. I have found the partionning
tool inside the installer shockingly bad. I had a very hard time creating my
partitions with the size I wanted and having them keep the order I wanted
them to have. After a few attempts, I landed in the console and went the old
way: fdisk.

I tried parted too, but it seems awfully complicated compared to fdisk. When
creating a new partition, fdisk offers something very nice & logical: it can
create the new partition  where the previous one ends with no fuss. With
parted, I need to input start + end positions? I need more than 5 minutes to
partition a drive? What the fsck?

There seems to be a very bad habit of duplicating tools instead of
building/merging with existing ones. This is sooo questionnable.
fdisk/parted is one example. Another is yum/apt-get. I haven't used yum
enough to know all the differences with apt. I know there are technical
reasons for going with yum. But from my perspective, where apt-get existed
first and worked very well, and then yum arrived and is so damn slow, the
choice is easy: apt-get all the way.

We could probably go on for a while like that. My point is, as a long time
user I don't feel tools that are put in the distro are always choosen very
wisely. It seems to me good/bad software is thrown in/out lightly. Is it
some kind of disdain or something? If you want linux to be massively adopted
on the desktop one day, you'll have to settle on some fairly standard tools,
stand behind them and stop wasting time to rebuild much of same.

Cheers