UPS Connections and use (FC2)

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Fri Mar 9 15:51:48 UTC 2007

On Friday 09 March 2007 05:45, Craig White wrote:

> ----
> APC cable only with APC unit
>
> You absolutely need to either make a cable that is specific for your
> unit or have one that came from manufacturer for that unit.
>
> Craig

The one thing that really annoys me about APC is their use of a non-standard
USB cable. It seems so petty to supply a non standard cable that you can't
buy elsewhere, so that you have to go to them instead of the local shop to
buy a replacement.

Somewhere I've got a USB plug to bare wires cable, and a supply of the same
plug that APC use for the UPS end. One day I'll buzz out the APC cable and
make up a shorter one for myself, partly to reduce the pile of cables at the
back of the PC, partly as a middle finger salute to petty manufacturers.

Dave

--

FACT - Millions of people worldwide continue to pay money to the richest
person in the world to use his products, even though perfectly good software

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763