UPS Connections and use (FC2)

Chris Wright linux-list at cwic-solutions.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 18:25:53 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> I don't know about where you live, but in the US, they are also
> required to keep the voltage within a specific range. If the voltage
> is normally at one end of the range, and goes outside the range,
> they can change the taps on the transformer to keep it in range. I
> have also had the power company upgrade to a larger transformer
> because the one they had was not large enough to meet peak loads.
> Having records of the actual voltages helps.

When I was in Fort Worth, my UPS would cut in and out like a flip-flop
so bad was the supply during hot spells.
(Every time the whole streets air-cons cut in at the same or similar
time it would cause a major drop in line voltage.  I gave my UPS logs to
a TX Employee who lived in our street and they had engineers out the
next day to change a faulty transformer in the neighbourhood.  Everyone
had noticed the lights dip but didn't realise the power was dropping
that much.  A few had noticed computers rebooting for no reason but
didn't make the connection).