DVD frustration - new observation

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 13 02:25:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 13:08 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Thinking about what you said, I realised that you may be testing with
> commercially burned disks, while I was testing with home-burned disks.  To my
> surprise xine opened an old commercially burned disk without a problem (old,
> non-encrypted - I haven't tried an encrypted one).  That leads me to wonder
> whether these latest versions of video-players are actually looking for
> something that is present in a commercially burned disk but not in one
> created by dvdauthor.

There's a number of variables:  Stand-alone DVD players are often quite
tolerant of nonsense on discs, and also quite intolerant of other
things.  Stand-alone DVD recorders usually do not record in a standard
DVD-Video manner.  Computer burnt discs may be burnt incorrectly (wrong
file system, multiple file systems with poor file naming choices in one
of them, discs should contain upper-case AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
directories, with all upper-case filenames inside them, the first file
to be played should be the first file actually written to the disc).
Both stand-alone and computer burnt discs may create playback problems
with multi-session recordings.  Computers playing DVDs may mount discs
incorrectly if they have multiple formats on them (Joliet shouldn't be
used, ISO-9660 can be used, UDF should be used).

--
(This PC runs FC4, my others FC5 & FC6, in case that's important
 to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.