UPS Connections and use (FC2)

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Mar 13 17:22:16 UTC 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>> Hmm. I don't want to use my computer as a voltmeter, nor as a line
>> condition monitor. The only action one seemingly can take is to
>> shut down when a power failure occurs.
>
> I'd also like to know that the cable hasn't fallen out or broken and
> the system is still talking end to end.
>
> I suppose you can get the same effect (and have an ever better end-end
> test) by hooking up a dumb UPS to a one-month 110v timer where you
> turn off the UPS power for 15 minutes and check to see if the computer
> does shut down gracefully and reboots automatically as expected.
>
> -wolfgang

I will say for a fact the my APC UPS will shut down my computer
gracefully.  It happened the other night while I was working.  The
batteries are waiting for replacements so there was not much life in
them.  But the system went into a full shutdown when the power dropped.

This is running apcupsd.  I am happy.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.