Wrong Encoding in Konqueror via SSH/fish

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 21:18:13 UTC 2007

I've got two FC6 machines (desktop and laptop) connected to the 'net
via a router. I can SSH into one another, and in the terminal I
perform ls and see the directory listing with the proper (utf-8)
encoding:
[user at localhost ~]$ ls
bin  Desktop  logs  vmware  דותן  לינוקס
[user at localhost ~]$

However, when I SSH into the box via Konqueror's wonderful fish
protocol (SSH wrapper) I get Gibberish on the Hebrew directories and
files. It looks like this:
http://dotancohen.com/images/encoding/utf8_as_iso-8859-1.png
So I am pretty sure that Konqi is trying to render it as ISO-8859-1
which is a Latin encoding. The only place where I can see that I can
set the encoding in konqi is under Fonts, and there it is set to
utf-8. The locales on both machines are set to utf-8 as well.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/electromagnet.html
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/195/fastball.html