Help with Smart Card Manager

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Tue Mar 20 17:12:15 UTC 2007

I work in an environment where almost all web access requires a smart
card (which holds a bunch of certificates). So I'm mostly stuck using
a Windows box for this work. I'd really like to use my Fedora box.

I've got a USB smart card reader which shows up as

     "ActivCard USB Reader V2" in /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-2

So I need some software. The vendor Linux software only works with
RHEL 3 (kernel 2.4).

Looking in the system menu, I see something called "Smart Card
Manager"; that would seem to be what I want. So, I click it and it
gets busy for a minute and then dies. No output.

I look at the menu entry and see that it runs /usr/bin/esc. I strace
esc and see that it dies when it can't run "escd" (permission denied).
I also see it looking for lots of other files that don't exist.

So, I figure it must require some configuration file(s).  "man esc"
fails, no info esc either. /usr/share/doc/esc-1.0.0 contains a LICENSE
file and nothing else.

Google finds the RedHat docs which claim that it doesn't require any
use configuration.

So, at last, my question; does anyone have this stuff working, and if
so, how?

Thanks,

John