Dell to sell Linux PCs

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Mar 27 09:32:42 UTC 2007

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:

> PCWorld are running some weird proprietary crap on that server, that
> seems to be preventing standards compliant browsers going straight to
> the article page. You need to actually click on a link on that site
> first, then paste the link in the URI box to get to the original article.

Dunno what they have done, but this seems to work properly

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,129363/printable.html

> Anyway, yeah the whole DellIdeaStorm phenomenon has been quite a
> roller-coaster ride, and it's actually looks like Dell might really be
> going for it this time ... again ... maybe.

I bought Dells in the past due to their being the sole source for really
hi res screens on laptops.  But that seems to have changed and so have
my buying habits.

I didn't read in the article anything about the price of Windows getting
allowed off the price of the box.  Revealing the OS as a cost, putting a
figure on it and putting a radiobutton next to it allowing to choose
Linux instead and save that money would be a momentous change that would
have major ramifications in uptake.

-Andy