Dell to sell Linux PCs
andy at warmcat.com
Tue Mar 27 14:51:00 UTC 2007
BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
> If you go out to the Dell Website and select the "Dell Workstations"
> option, you will see that you can select Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4
> for your operating system.
> If you click on a Windows option for the same configuration,
> you will see that the starting priced for any version of windows
> is higher than the starting price for Linux.
It doesn't work like that on the UK Dell Website. Last time I looked I
couldn't even find any mention of Linux, but I checked today and it is
mentioned. Here is what the navigation looks like right now to try to
do as you suggest.
1) http://dell.com redirects me to
Oh yeah on EVERY page: "Dell recommends Windows Vista (TM) Business"
2) Select Desktops | Small business gets you to
where there is an advert for Vista in the top third of the page.
3) "Choose" button for Dell Precision
Oh wow a "special offer" on -- "Windows Vista at no extra cost"
But it does mention RHEL is an option, not a choosable option, just
4) Click "Select" on the most expensive one, the 690. Gets you
Hm, RHEL is not mentioned any more, but "Windows Vista TM at no extra
5) Click "Customize & Buy" for the left hand choice of two 690s, it's
the expensive one I figured it would have RHEL as an option. Gets you here:
Wow a whole page titled "Welcome to Windows Vista" with a gal who looks
really happy. There are two buttons at the bottom, "Choose Vista" and
"Choose Windows XP". Nothing about RHEL or Linux or anything except
kissing one ring or the other.
6) Well I "chose" Vista let's say
Err choice between 3 types of Vista.
7) Back up to 5), try the "Choose XP" button
Choice of XP or XP x64, no Linux.
8) Back up to 3), try the cheaper of the pair
Yeah "Choose Vista" or "Choose XP"
9) Back up to 2), try the cheapest, the 390 which also lists RHEL
10) Okay choose the most expensive on the left and "Customize and Buy"
Aiieeee "Welcome to Windows Vista"
So it's nice if you can get Linux in the US Dell site, but I can only
find it mentioned and I certainly am not being allowed to compare prices.
More information about the users