Minicom cant get info from /dev/ttyS0 and ttyS1

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Mar 28 16:54:59 UTC 2007

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 15:28 +0200, Erik Grootjans wrote:
>> I try to get serial communication with a broadbandrouter
>> When i use PCPLUS with DOS 5.0 i can get communication
>> with the router (115200 N81 No Software Control / No hardware Control)
>> It works both on comm1 and comm2
>>
>> If i try to communicated from Fedora 6 with minicom
>> I get for ttyS1 --> device does not exist
>> for ttyS0 --> i get nothing
>>
>> If i look at the /dev directory i see the devices ttyS0 to ttyS3
>> (with dev ttyS0 connected)
>>
>> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 mrt 28 15:24 ttyS0
>> crw-rw---- 1 root root  4, 65 mrt 28 2007 ttyS1
>> crw-rw---- 1 root root  4, 66 mrt 28 2007 ttyS2
>> crw-rw---- 1 root root  4, 67 mrt 28 2007 ttyS3
>>

>> Where do i have to look, to make the serial connection work on comm1
>> (ttyS0).
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Erik
>>

> If you're trying to access the serial port as a user, make sure the user
> is member of the uucp group.
>
> - Gilboa

Another way to do it, if you want to limit access to the person
logged into the console, would be to add a comsole.perms rule. You
could create a file /etc/security/console.perms.d/55-serial.perms
with something like:

# Rule to give access to the first serial port.

<serial>=/dev/ttyS0

<console>  0600 <serial>      0660 root.uucp

You could change the <serial> line to give access to the first four
serial ports like this:

<serial>=/dev/ttyS[0-3]

Mikkel