umask

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Mar 29 23:51:23 UTC 2007

On 29Mar2007 16:59, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca> wrote:
| On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 16:17 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
| > You could add the umask call to the Xsession script in /etc/gdm (a
| > symlink to /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession) to apply it to all users or you
| > could add it to your personal startup script.  I forget what all
| > scripts are tried anymore, I've got my startup stuff in ~/.xsession.
|
| I tried what you suggested, and in a few other files in /etc/X11
| and /etc/gdm, but nothing worked.  My custom umask was ignored each and
| every time.  Guess I'll have to wait for a new Gnome in Fedora before
| this gets fixed.

You could write your own ~/.xsession, and have it run gnome-session after
setting the umask. Does that work? Have it also start a distinctive xterm or
something so you know if it's being used.

| BTW, that bug history is a joke.  It's been open for two years, and
| typical of Gnome devs, they were discussing if the user really cares to
| have such a feature.  Holy shit.

You could stop using Gnome. Then you won't be a user and their
discussion would have some validity:-)

| Anyway, it's annoying as hell, so hopefully it's fixed soon.  I now have
| to figure out a work around.

Like Todd, I have my own .xsession. It gives you much better control
anyway.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Yes, some GNOME developers are self-appointed control freak antifeature nazis
who've stripped functionality in pursuit of some theoretical "non geek" user
who does not exist, thereby crippling their software.
And probably some KDE developers are feature sluts who never saw a checkbox
they didn't love, exposing users to all kinds of broken features.
- Nat Friedman in the Gnome usability mlist, 13dec2005