Different Keyboard Layout for Different Apps

Esteban Xandri esteban.xandri at speedy.com.ar
Wed May 2 03:12:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 19:05 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I have some apps I like to use from time to time for which
> I would like to use slightly different keyboard maps.
>
> For example, from time to time I play Larn. I like to use the
> numeric keypad as a directional movement control. But Larn is
> natively set up to use the "yujklhnm" movement type keys. So,
> in order to remap that, I use a little script which actually
> runs the program, and which uses xmodmap to set up the mapping,
> runs the actual program, then sets things back.
>
> The main drawback with doing this is that it changes the keymap
> for everything running at the time, which is not desirable.
>
> So, either I'm ignorant of a better way, or I'll have to live with
> what I've got, or I'll have to fiddle the source to Larn somewhat.
>
> Can anyone give me advice on how to use different key maps for
> different apps running concurrently without interfering with
> each other?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Mike

I don´t have a certain answer, but I´m also interested in this topic.
In the past I solved this issue using this workaround: run your app
under Xnest or Xephyr and set xmodmap just for this clients (you could
use your scripts with these displays, and they will not affect your
others :0 display settings)
Also check the following link, which apparently shows that xmodmap can
be app-specific:
http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/X11/xmodmap.html#applicationspecific
(but I couldn´t test it on FC)
Regards