Dept of Utterly Useless Error Messages

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 2 04:15:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 16:27 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Somewhere I have a screen grab of a useless pop-up error message on
> Linux.  There's a box with an alert icon and an okay button.  But
> there's no clue as to what program generated the error, nor what the
> error is.  The only text it has is the okay button.

And here it is (attached).  It gives no clue as to what it's about.  For
all you know could be about to delete some important files by pressing
the okay button.

I don't know how I first accountered this, but this is how I got it
today:  I tried to unmount a USB flash drive within Nautilus, while
another terminal still had it as its current working directory.  The
attempt first popped up a sane error warning that it couldn't do it
(cannot unmount volume, an application is preventing the volume from
being unmounted).  Then moments after okaying away that one, this one
popped up.

I have seen this before, and not while unmounting a volume within
Nautilus.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.