To Internet-install or not to...

Jan Welker jan.welker at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:41:49 UTC 2007

I always set up my machines with this network installation. I have a 10Mbit
internet connection without any limitation. I don't have a DVD writer and I
don't want to change the CDs 5 times every installation.
If you have more than one machine to set up you can create your own Fedora
mirror and load the files from a local machine.

Cheers, Jan

On 5/2/07, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/1/07, Frode Petersen <fropeter at online.no> wrote:
> >  From http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution :
> >
> > > Download a single small CD and install from the Internet
> > >
> > > Under the distribution 'os' folder (mirror list), in a folder
> > > named 'images', you can find a small boot.iso file, which can be
> > > burned to CD and used to start an Internet-based install. Please
> > > be aware that there are reliability concerns associated with this
> > > installation method, and it should probably not be attempted by a
> > > novice user or the faint-of-heart. This method is often of interest
> > > to testers.
> >
> > Have anyone any experience with this method of installation? If I
> > install from a DVD, then most of the packages would be updated from the
> > internet anyway, so why not start there?
> >
> > I'd like to know what those 'reliability concerns' are, though. Pro and
> > cons, anyone? :-)
>
> Network reliability and security are the two top concerns. Speed would
> be next. You really should not try this if you are on a slow dial-up
> connection.
>
> > Frode
>
> --

UNIX is user friendly, it's just picky about who it's friends are.