Redefining udev permissions on a given device (/dev/isdninfo)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed May 2 16:54:25 UTC 2007

Felix Schwarz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Fedora Core 6. My ISDN card (Fritz!Card PCI v2) was detected
> by Fedora and works flawlessly.
>
> Now, udev sets the permissions on /dev/isdninfo in a very secure way so
> that I can't access as a ordinary user.
>> [fs at ws2 ~]$ ls -la /dev/isdninfo
>> crw------- 1 root root 45, 255 28. Apr 13:23 /dev/isdninfo
>
> I like to have the permissions that way:
>> [fs at ws2 ~]$ ls -la /dev/isdninfo
>> crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 45, 255 28. Apr 13:23 /dev/isdninfo
>
> How can I configure udev so that the permissions will be set appropriately?

Dumb question - are you rebooting after making the changes? Or
running "udevcontrol reload_rules" and then removing/reloading the
module for your ISDN card?

One other thing to check is to see if there is a file in
/etc/security/console.perms.d controlling permissions. I don't run
ISDN so I am not sure if the software adds a file with its rules
like the vdr package does.

Mikkel