really REALLY slow computer

zephod at cfl.rr.com zephod at cfl.rr.com
Thu May 3 13:36:50 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk>
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2007 9:01 am
Subject: Re: really REALLY slow computer
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>

> zephod at cfl.rr.com wrote:
> > Nothing about timeouts. Here are a few things from dmesg that
> might be
> > of interest.
>
> Try some of the hints from:
>
> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?
threadId=1081719

I have read that thread before. Most of the problems reported there
seem to be that people could not boot the kernel and people were
taling about the 2.6.19 version whereas I can boot and I'm running the
2.6.21 kernel. There is one mention of poor i/o performance and the
suggestion is to run with acpi=off and hda=noprobe. I have already
tried acpi=off and that didn't make any noticable difference. I will
try the noprobe option tomorrow morning. I only boot into Linux once a
day as I do have some work I need to do!

Steve